by George Herrera, Realtor & Owner of Queens Home Team at Keller Williams Realty.
East Elmhurst NY is a wonderful and unique neighborhood in Queens county NYC. We sell a lot of homes here so we get to tour the neighborhood and learn all of it’s hidden gems quite often. The neighborhood consists of two zip codes (11369 & 11370), and 11370 actually consists of two sub-neighborhoods, one of them which is north of Grand Central Pkwy, and the other which is south of Grand Central Pkwy. The northern section which borders Astoria Ditmars and Laguardia airport is commonly referred to as “Upper Ditmars” or “Astoria Heights”. If you talk to the neighbors here, you’ll quickly realize that they differentiate themselves from what is defined as East Elmhurst. The southern part of the 11370 neighborhood doesn’t have a fancy name, but it is just as charming. Lastly, 11369 is a neighborhood bordered by 86th Street to the west, 112th Pl to the east, Grand Central Pkwy to the north, and Northern Blvd to the south. These two areas make up what we as Realtors call “East Elmhurst”, and we define it as the area which runs from 70th St to 112th Pl (west to east) between Grand Central Pkwy and Northern Blvd (north to south). The neighborhood is very residential with only a few Coops and Condos. As you drive or walk around, you’ll notice that the neighborhood is comprised mainly of 1-3 family homes with very nice curb appeal. In the area between Grand Central Pkwy and Astoria Blvd, you’ll see a very suburban like neighborhood with bigger lots and more detached homes and attached. Altogether, East Elmhurst is very charming and the neighborhood offers a lot of value to residents, visitors, and potential buyers alike. So, we have compiled a list of fun facts that you may or may not know about the the East Elmhurst Queens neighborhood. ENJOY:)
2. East Elmhurst is located north and east of Jackson Heights and north of Corona.
3. East Elmhurst includes La Guardia Airport
4. The zip codes of East Elmhurst are 11369 and 11370.
6. In the East Elmhurst 11369 and 11370 ZIP code, almost 30 percent of the 36,000 residents were born abroad.
7. The Corona East Elmhurst News, first published in 1959 by Kenneth and Corien Drew, was located on Astoria Boulevard. It ultimately became the Queens Voice and was published for 1959-2002.
8. The MTA’s Q19, Q23, Q33, Q47, Q48, Q49, Q66 and Q72 buses serve East Elmhurst.
10. A small section of East Elmhurst is zoned for separate district in Whitestone, Queens causing some children to attend P.S. 21 for elementary and J.H.S 185 for middle school.
11. During the 1950s and 1960s the area was home to legendary African American musicians, civil rights leaders, professionals, and athletesincluding Malcolm X, Dizzy Gillespie, Nat Adderley, Louis Armstrong, Jimmy Heath, Frankie Lymon, Charlie Shavers, Ella Fitzgerald, and Willie Mays.
12. This once rural area is now among the fastest-changing communities in the city.
13. East Elmhurst has been home to a number of renowned jazz talents, including singer Ella Fitzgerald and bassist Ray Brown.
14. East Elmhurst is home to The Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology
15. While there are some high rise apartment complexes, most of the housing in East Elmhurst is in the form of single and multi-family homes.
16. The East Elmhurst population is incredibly diverse, with a good mix of Italians, Greeks, Hispanics, Asians, and African Americans.
17. East Elmhurst is a very residential area and it certainly isn’t what one might expect of New York City, but it offers a fairly cheap alternative for people who want suburban living without going too far from Manhattan.
Blog courtesy of George & Abigail Herrera w/the Queens Home Team at Keller Williams Realty.